Wednesday 11 July 2012

Cyprus Archaeological Museum visit





The only image that stayed with me since my last visit to the Cyprus Archaeological museum is a room full of clay figures of varying sizes. Even though I was around eight years old when I saw these figures I was amazed by how many sculptures there were in that room. So yesterday I decided after so many years to visit the museum again and experience the room again!


I discovered that there are only one hundred sculptures in that room out of the two thousand found in the excavation...there is simply no space to put them so some of them were taken in Sweden (they were discovered by Swedish archaeologists). 


I also enjoyed the naive and amusing pot drawings and there was something really scary about the life sized sculptures. The whole experience was inspiring and the fact that people have been making art for so long is fascinating! 

No comments: