Sunday 7 October 2012

Learning about storyboards


So the first week of the Animation course at the RCA is over and I finally had some time over the weekend to realise what happened. Apart from inductions and welcome talks we had to work on a rather fast paced project which involved drawing storyboards and characters in twenty seconds or a minute(if we were lucky). I found it particularly challenging since I spend quite a long time on my illustrations and have no knowledge of camera angles, pacing etc. This is a scan of 'The Storyboard Design course', an incredibly useful book by Giuseppe Cristiano which is my first introduction to film language.

So I learned a lot and switched from drawing faded pencilpen lines to attacking the paper with a 4B pencil. I suddenly became aware of the fact that I haven't done any observational drawing in a very long time. So I got a sketchbook just for observational drawing and will do as much drawing as possible. Needless to say I am definitely not proud of most of the drawings I have done so far in my sketchbook haha.


No comments: