Sunday 1 April 2012

David Hockney exhibition



Last week I went to see the David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy. I had already watched a documentary about it on iplayer which was a great introduction to the show since it showed the actual landscapes and the artist in action. I think it made the whole experience richer since it gave an insight to the thinking behind his new work.

I was lucky enough to go before it was open to the public so there was a lot of space to enjoy the work. I thought the exhibition was 'good for the soul' since it mainly consisted of paintings/drawings/ipad paintings of beautiful landscapes in different seasons. I particularly liked the room with the nine screens for each season (there were eighteen screens in total since there was footage for two seasons shown simultaneously next to each other) in which I felt that I was actually in nature and not just watching videos in a gallery. I left the exhibition feeling calm and inspired to paint trees and nature more since living in the city makes me miss it a lot. I was also amazed by the massive queue of people waiting to get in and relieved I got to see it when it was quiet.

No comments: